Invite a friend. Save the dates.
Our focus in 2018 will be “character-driven fiction.” Character drives fiction ...
but what drives your characters? Your program suggestions are welcome!
* Saturday, January 27 - 10 to noon - Aina Haina Library - Writers Workshop: “Strong Entrances: First Impressions of Characters in Fiction” (workshop leader: Michael Little). “A fictional person is balanced in the doorway between non-existence and being. Can the author imbue his character with a projected ray of life, a compelling human future with which the reader can identify?”
* Saturday, February 24 - 10:30 a.m. - Kapolei Library - Readings: “When Love Goes Wrong” followed by lunch at Assaggio Kapolei.
* Saturday, March 17 - 10 to noon - Aina Haina Library - Writers Workshop: “Caveman Fiction and Agatha Christie: Imagining and Writing a Two-Character Scene.” Continuing the Hawaii Fiction Writers focus in 2018 on character-driven fiction. Brush up on your caveman history, or just let your imagination run wild. Plan ahead, and we will be writing and sharing during the workshop. We’ll discuss the basics and importance of a two-character scene, how it can be the genesis of a short story, or even a novel. We will also examine the opening two-character scene from Agatha Christie’s The Body in the Library, featuring the unsuspecting Col. Bantry and Mrs. Bantry, sleeping peacefully, unaware that there is, of course, a body in their library.
* Saturday, April 21 - 10 to noon - Aina Haina Library - [postponed due to Aina Haina flooding]
* Saturday, May 19 - 10:30 a.m. - Aina Haina Library - “Bring Out Your Best” - Share the best of your own writing, your personal favorite - [postponed due to Aina Haina flooding]
* Saturday, June 16 - 10 to noon - Epiphany Episcopal Church (10th & Harding in Kaimuki) - Joyce Maltby will speak on what drives character, from her years of experience in directing and acting in the theatre, where developing character really counts. Joyce Maltby’s lifetime career in theatre has taken her throughout the U.S. as an actor, director and teacher. In Hawaii she’s known for her work at MVT, DHT, ACT, UH Manoa, TAG and as founder of the HPU Theatre program, serving as Theatre Professor for 23 years.
* Saturday, July 21 - 10 to noon - Epiphany Episcopal Church - Writers Workshop: “Sidekicks & Buddies in Fiction & Film.” From Adam & Eve (add a serpent), to Don Quixote & Sancho Panza, to Holmes & Watson (add a mystery), to Butch & Sundance, to Poirot & Hastings, to Thelma & Louise, to Han Solo & Chewbacca ... the list is endless! Workshop led by Michael Little.
* Saturday, August 18 - 10 to noon - Epiphany Episcopal Church - Tracy Trevorrow (Professor of Psychology at Chaminade University) on character development. Also: Report from the May 18-20 Master Class with John Truby (“The Anatomy of Story”), which was held at the Ala Moana Hotel.
* Saturday, September 8 - 10 to noon - Aina Haina Library - TBA
* Saturday, October 20 - 10:30 to noon - Kapolei Library - Readings